Monday, January 28, 2013

Music is my religion

At what point did music become my way of life and what I live for?  When did music become my life and my pretty much my wife.  I can remember many of the songs from my early childhood, when I was maybe four years old.  "Zombie" by the Cranberries was really popular back then, I heard that song all the time.  It's like one of my first memories ever possibly.  I remember when I was in second grade, age 7, a friend named Zieke said I should listen to Hanson.  So Nick and I got "Middle of Nowhere" for Christmas that year.  We loved those guys when we were young.  They were very inspirational to us.  I think these were the first jolts of musical inspiration that I ever had without even realizing it.  Later on in fourth grade we were given the opportunity to play in the elementary strings band.  Nick chose cello and I chose violin.  We kept up with practicing for maybe one week if I remember correctly.  We lost interest by fifth grade.  Our friend Kevin also turned us onto the band Limp Biskit, we rocked "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water" to no end.  Though I'm a little ashamed of that now lol.  It wasn't until sixth grade when I really started venturing into more music.  Linkin Park came out around then when I was age 11 and I didn't know any better.  Me and Nick both listened to the "Hybrid Theory" album alot.  In that same year we got into other bands like The Gorillaz , the song "Clint Eastwood" was very popular on the radio.  Also in that same year Mom and Dad introduced us to Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix.  From there that would shape my musical palette for the better, forever.  Around 8th grade when I was 13 I started listening to Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine heavily.  The next year is when I picked up bass guitar.  I started getting into so much music, too many to list really.  That is when every band I listened to became my new favorite band.  I was so receptive to music, especially with learning how to play bass.  Audioslave and Soundgarden were my top bands, and I also started getting to Mile's Davis with the "Kind of Blue" album.  Soon after that I got into Jaco Pastorius, which is when I decided to really be a bass player I'd say, that same year is also when I met a teacher at the National Guitar Workshop named Bill Kratz, who really inspired me to strive to become a professional musician.  I learned so much about music in his class, and I feel that class equipped me with everything I needed to continue to be receptive musically and really be able to understand music to it's core.  That was right when I turned age 16, and from there on I became the musician I am today.  I will forever continue to evolve as a musician/artist/person and I will always grow into the next version of myself.  This blog entry is dedicated to music, my religion.  A universal language, with no wrong sentence.

thanks for reading, and get ready for our album release in March!


-BearKnuckle
facebook.com/BearKnuckle
www.bearknuckle.bandcamp.com

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading how your love of music unfolded, as well as learning about your influences, Rory. Music is redemptive.

    ReplyDelete